Tuesday 9 March 2010

Ramblings of a Traveller

I apologize for this entry in advance. It is all over the shop and follows no sensible order whatsoever.

To most of us here, Leeds is increasingly becoming more of a base than a home. Essentially what this means is the more we travel abroad, the less we do thing in Leeds.

The last few weeks have just flewn by and it seems like I am always on the go. My last few weeks have looked something like this: leave for somewhere on the friday afternoon, return monday. Monday nights: recover from the weekend's adventures.

Tuesday nights: generally at the Eldon, though we've been getting a bit over this recently. Three weeks ago Chris had a pot-luck dinner at his in St Marks, and since we are all students with limited wallets and cooking abilities we all brought a pasta..they all tasted awesome though. Two weeks ago (23 Feb) Ana organised a beer pong tournament at her place in Henry Price which then led to the Eldon.

Wednesday's are my day off so every time one rolls around I say that I'm going to get a lot of work done. This sometimes happens, but the word 'lots' would be used by few. The last few I'd say have been filled with lots of research. Now I'm sure that sounds productive, and it is, but not in a studious sense. Most of it is finding the cheapest flights and hostels around Europe - mainly for spring break - then discussing and booking them. Seriously, if I spent as much time on my schoolwork as I did looking at what I want to do around Europe I would be getting a HD in every subject. Sadly this is not a reality, but happily, it is :). And as of last night all my flights for spring break have been booked. I start off in the French Alps (Chris, Yazmin, Katie) - London (Emma) - Paris (Evan) - Vienna via Bratislava (Evan, Chris, Emma, Anastasia, Kayt) - Munich (same crew) - Berlin (Chris and maybe Stephen from Edinburgh) - Brussels (just me). Very excited.


Last wednesday we had a game of football in the park, there were 2 basketball courts and 2 other groups had taken a half of each of the courts so we played a game across the corner of one, was interesting but it worked. Then we played against another group of 5 and got our arses kicked, had a massive amount of fun though, I just loved getting out and having a kickaround.


When we got here Mitch and I wanted to find a church to go to regularly. There was this church about a 5 minute walk from North Hill but when we went one sunday but we were the only students there and the message for that week just so happened to be a presentation from a local charity that went for about an hour and half. The next week Emma took us to St George's which I absolutely loved. So many students, the message was challenging and everything just seemed to be done well. Met a couple of girls there who invited us to the student tea after the service and to small group on Thursday nights. Unfortunately (but fortunately) I haven't been home on a Sunday night in about 3 weeks but I've been going to the small group and really enjoying it.


Which brings us back to Friday. This Friday just gone we went to Dublin (stay tuned), some went on Thursday night but a few of us went Friday night as we had a class. On Thursday I learnt that my class was cancelled, great.

Tonight (Mar 9) I played a game of futsal, first actual competitive match. It's a comp within the uni and I played for the international team. The winners of this comp go into the inter-uni finals (I think). Again, was so good to have a run around - apart from walking everywhere I do zero exercise - and on top of this we got a win. I lost count but I think it was about 8-5. I netted a hattrick.

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed that I am using my bedroom sink and fridge more than the kitchen. There's not really that much that I need to keep in the fridge, all my drinks are up here, my lunch stuff is up here, all that is downstairs is anything I need for dinner preparation, most of which is frozen or in the cupboard. I then do all my eating up here.

So congratulations if you got all the way through that.

No comments:

Post a Comment